Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kiss Your Brain

Well, it appears it is that time of year again. You may not be aware of this, but there is music out there that kids are addicted to that is NOT performed by Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers. In fact, the cult like following may not be near as mainstream or wide in appeal (its tough to draw the numbers that a Disney backing will), but I would argue that it may be even stronger.

I am talking about Dr. Jean. Yup, that's right. She has never appeared on American Idol, but the kids love her. Even more, the teachers love her. When we started Gile Toys in 2006, we quickly identified this music product that stood out quite significantly in our sales, especially this time of year as back to school approaches. I couldn't believe the volume we were selling online, so I did the one thing any other man would do. I brought a CD home and asked my wife what the deal was. It turned out that the local teachers were crazy about her CDs and excited to find a local place to buy them.

So, I've listened to some Dr. Jean classics, like Kiss Your Brain! (available, oddly enough, on the 2003 release, Kiss Your Brain!) and Tooty Ta (what I would call the good doctor's Stairway to Heaven, available on the 1998 release Dr. Jean & Friends). I have to tell you, I still don't get it. But, I will say this - I've been in the room and car when my girls listened and they get it.

To be fair, I guess there is something strangely catchy about all Dr. Jean's songs. And, there is a really genuine sound to the music. Dr. Jean is not a real strong or exceptionally gifted vocalist (I am sure she would admit this openly), but she seems to love kids. And, I think the kids really pick up on that. As she says on her website: “Thanks for helping me put a song in the hearts of children!” I get the sense that she really means it.

No comments: